Sunday, April 1, 2007

Being Too Connected

There was an interesting article in Saturday's National Post about being too connected and how it can cause "networking fatigue". It tells a funny tale about the journalist refusing to join Facebook and how she just wants her friends to pick up the phone. The article made me ask, is there such thing as too much?
As new networking tools come into existence every day, and popularity grows, our way of interacting changes. What happens to our lives once we are forced to join more and more networks in order to stay connected? What will happen if they all of a sudden are not as cool anymore? Will our relationships have changed?

Here's the link:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/artslife/weekendpost/story.html?id=c8c256ba-077f-42ad-9c30-bda6b60456ff&p=1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I totally understand the writer's feeling that with all the online networking opportunities, exchanging phone numbers seems slightly antiquated.

I'm not joining many right now because of time commitments, but also because I'm waiting to see if FaceBook is another fad and will be replaced by something new next year. You wonder if these sites reflect our disposable attitude towards pop culture & media in general - try it on, take it off; like you today, hate you tomorrow; time to vote you off the show because always something new & better around the corner.

I like her term "Urban hipster kidults -- those of us in our 30s who still live like we are 25, but with nicer apartments and better taste in wine -- have long been communicating, dating and networking on these sites." Hey - a new term for me. I've come a long way from cruising for friends & dates along "Asian Avenue" in the 90s.

az said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This article is great! It's everything I've been debating about. But just when I was about to be open to the online world, this article has sent me back to my true self. :)

Thanks!

Amna